Saturday, March 18, 2006

solitude

I can't help but wonder what would happen if I never left this flat.

I haven't been far off this weekend.
Except one trip to the shop, a 10 K run earlier today, and a 90-minute walk with E. this afternoon, I've alternated between two positions: I've either had my a$$ firmly planted on this chair, in front of the computer, or I've been on the couch reading ("Pride & Prejudice" and every single weekend paper, including 2 tabloids, the token serious paper, the local broadsheet and the pink financial, all purchased on my 1 trip to the shop). And I've consumed embarassing amounts of popcorn and pick & mix-lollies.

Of course, I've started off every five-hour session by the computer with the intention to write something that might at least resemble a creative text.
Instead, I've downloaded hundreds of songs onto iTunes & the beloved iPod, and I've caught up with people I forgot existed on MSN messenger. I did use some creativity to work out what the hell to talk with them about, though.

Needless to say, it's been a pretty comfortable weekend. What would happen if I continued like this?

I have had periods of unemployment in my life. Never intentionally, but unintentional passivity is the sort of stuff you have to expect when you do not only an arts degree, but a media degree (as professors and snobs and science students like to spit out the word). What I learned then is that I, who am usually quite efficient, active and known for having a fair share of energy, can mutate into a TV-shop watching, coke-drinking slob. (I only wish I was a coke snorting slob, that sounds much more intriguing.)

Luckily the man comes back tomorrow and my ordinary working week starts on Monday. I never thought I'd be happy to have an A4-life. However the bohemic existence is overrated - and terribly messy.

*Milly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home