Friday, March 17, 2006

and thus began my blog

I am always drawn to things for the wrong reasons.

I started reading Paul Auster because I wanted New York, I wanted concrete jungle, traffic, noise and urbanity. And I liked his characters, his descriptions, his language. And his photo on the cover.
I did read the books, I enjoyed them enough to keep buying new paperbacks. Paul Auster was a faithful tube-companion the spring of 2003. So I definitely did read the books. There are stains in them now, of coffee, chocolate, croissant-grease, that reveal that I did read them.

But I couldn't tell you what they were about. I just loved the sound of them. Like I loved the sound of Just Like a Woman when I first (consciously) heard Bob Dylan. I was 14 and I listened to Blonde on Blonde again and again, I had no idea what the songs were all about, but I loved the idea of Dylan, I photocopied the cd-cover of Blonde on Blonde (you know the one, Bob is all messy hair and scarf, he could perhaps pass as a young character in a Paul Auster novel). Most of all I loved Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands. Didn't understand a thing. (English is my second language, back then it was so poor it was hardly a language to me, rather a collection of words.)

So, when I decided to re-read the New York Trilogy this week, I was delighted to discover that I actually got behind the words. No, I won't provide you with an analysis of the book, others can do that. Plus I might be wrong.

Anyway. It's nice to discover that you're growing. Getting older, if not wiser. I sometimes wonder how it happens, and when. If I've lead the same life for the last 3 years, how come I'm smarter now than I was 1 year ago?

I'll leave it with this rather random rant (I do love my alliterations, although I know that Hemingway said it was the stupidest form of rhyme, or something like that). And thus ended my first post. It won't be the last. It's nice to be back.

*Milly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home